The Central Virginia Rotary Club has been a beacon of service for over a century. Founded in 1917, it is one of the oldest clubs among the 46,000 clubs that are now active around the world. With members from all cultures and ethnicities, the club is not affiliated with any political or religious organization. The club has been involved in many local service projects during its first two decades, and its most important project, the Field of Honor, has been running for six years.
The club's service projects cover a wide spectrum of services to our community, our region and our world. We serve together as reliable volunteers for local agencies. Community Projects include ringing the Salvation Army bells, cleaning up the Rivanna River between Darden Towe and Riverview parks, and joining other local Rotary clubs to set up benches, plant shrubs and carry out other projects in McIntire Park. The club also provides voluntary and financial support to Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry, helping to ensure healthy food for residents in need. In 2002, Rotarians from the Lynchburg and Bedford clubs began the process of creating a new club to serve the growing Forest community.
Potential members are sponsored by a current club member and approved by the board of directors and club members. Last year, the club installed the first phase of an all-inclusive children's playground in the Forest Rotary Park, located next to the Forest Public Library. In collaboration with local Rotary clubs and UVA Engineering, the team participates in drinking water and sanitation projects in Africa led by Rotarians and representatives of the University of Virginia. The Rotary Forest Club has used Field of Honor funds to support other local non-profit organizations. There are two other clubs in Charlottesville, as well as clubs in Louisa, Fluvanna, and other nearby locations. The Central Virginia Rotary Club continues to be a leader in service projects that benefit our community, our region and our world. The Central Virginia Rotary Club is an exemplary organization that has been providing service to its community for over a century.
From its inception in 1917 to its current projects such as the Field of Honor and all-inclusive children's playground in Forest Rotary Park, this club has been dedicated to helping those in need both locally and globally. Through their collaborative efforts with local Rotary clubs and UVA Engineering, they have been able to provide drinking water and sanitation projects in Africa. In addition to their own initiatives, they have also provided financial support to Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry and other local non-profit organizations. The Central Virginia Rotary Club is a testament to what can be achieved when people come together for a common cause. Their legacy of service will continue to inspire generations to come.